CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Christian as "gaijin"

The Lord is firmly leading my family to become missionaries in Japan, to share the law of God and the love of Jesus Christ to a nation and culture that has little understanding of what either of these even are.  


As it has been shared with me by many brothers and sisters in Christ who have served and currently serve in Japan, beyond the barrier of lacking the cultural exposure to Jesus (which is something we Americans often take for granted in our own country), there also exists a cultural barrier against the foreigner; the Japanese word is "gaijin."

This is not to say that this concept is racist in tone, because I don't believe it is. Naturally, there are racist people in every country and culture.  Instead, whoever put in the Wikipedia entry on the term gives it fair treatment, and is worth checking out:

Now, what about the Christian being gaijin to the world?  This is something I have faced every time I am on the street, and indeed I have also faced it among some I talk with in the church.  It is a daily struggle for me to not feel like I am on an alien planet, but I must remember I should not struggle against it!  

"And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." Romans 12:2 (KJV)

As I continue in street ministry in anticipation of when I can do it on the streets of Japan, I wish to exhort you and remind myself to follow the strength of the early Ephesian church but to not make the mistake of forsaking my first love, my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

"2 I know your works, your labor, your patience, and that you cannot bear those who are evil. And you have tested those who say they are apostles and are not, and have found them liars;
3 "and you have persevered and have patience, and have labored for My name's sake and have not become weary.
 4 "Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love.
 5 "Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place--unless you repent."
Revelation 2:2-5 (NKJV)

The Lord bless you and keep you!

1 comments:

Daughter of Wisdom said...

Great. Doing your part in spreading the gospel around the world.